Thursday, January 18, 2018

How to See the Rosette Nebula


Rosette Nebula

For years, I could not understand why so many of my fellow stargazers claimed to have observed the Rosette Nebula in Monoceros through the eyepiece, while I utterly failed to see the least hint of nebulosity whenever I tried. Frustrating. I kept wondering, "what was I doing wrong?"

Well, last winter I finally discovered the secret, quite by accident. As in all my previous attempts, I centered my field of view (FOV) on NGC 2244, the star cluster at the center of the Rosette (which to my eye always resembled a slightly crooked step ladder). And once again, no nebula. I was about to chalk it up to bad eyesight, when quite by chance I bumped my telescope, causing NGC 2244 to be at the far left edge of my FOV. And then I saw it! There was no mistaking the contrast - the left side of the FOV was decidedly "murkier" than the right. It even had the subtlest of all possible reddish tinges. By contrast, the right side was purest black, with a speckling of stars.


NGC 2244

That's when I realized in a flash where my mistake lay. The Rosette is so large that, by centering on the cluster at its heart, its nebulosity filled the entire FOV. There was nothing to contrast it to. But by placing the cluster at the far left, fully half of my FOV was nebula-free, and allowed me to see the difference.

Since that night I've returned to the Rosette several times, and now that I know the "trick", have never once failed to observe its nebulosity. Our next chance to take in this beautiful sight will be in the second week of February (i.e., just prior to new moon). That is, of course, weather permitting. Maryland is after all, (in)famous for its mid-February snow dumps!

And while you enjoy the sight, marvel at the incredible youth of what you're looking at. NGC 2244 is estimated to be no more than 5 million years old, making it quite the baby. And it is largely made up of incredibly massive stars, the two largest (HD 46223 and HD 46150) weighing in at as much as 60 suns. Such stars don't normally hang around for long, having the habit of going supernova after a few million years. So enjoy them while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment