Thursday, March 1, 2018

After you've looked at M42...

... what is there to see in the winter sky? Actually, tons! For those of us unfortunate enough to live in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter sky contains more objects of interest than any other season - and that includes the summer Milky Way. Now I'm not going to attempt to list them here, but rather direct your attention to one undeservedly overlooked open cluster in Canis Major, NGC 2362.


This image captures what NDC 2362 looks like through my 90mm refractor.

The first time I chanced upon this Jewel of the Sky, I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I was simply letting the turning Earth beneath my feet bring new wonders into my field of view, while I allowed my scope to drift unguided. Then a most marvelous sight riveted my attention, and my aimless drifting was definitely over for the night. I simply couldn't get enough of this spectacular cluster, with its giant central star Tau Canis Majoris (which is actually part of the cluster, and not just a chance line of sight association).

To my eye, this cluster has a distinctly triangular shape, and is full of color. NGC 2362 is a baby amongst its fellow open clusters, being only about 4 million years old. Its central (and brightest) star is Tau Canis Majoris, a class O supergiant which turns out to be a fantastic multiple star system composed of at least 6 stars (and probably more). At magnitude 4.4, Tau Canis Majoris ought to be visible naked eye when observed under dark skies.

This cluster rewards the patient viewer, as many subtle details emerge as your eye becomes accustomed to the sight, and fainter members make their presence known.



NGC 2362 is approximately 5000 light years from our solar system.


No comments:

Post a Comment